19th July 2012
Laid before Parliament
30th July 2012
Coming into force
1st January 2013
The Secretary of State for Education makes the following Regulations in exercise of the powers conferred by sections 537A(1) and (2) and 569(4) of the Education Act 1996(1).
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Education (Information About Individual Pupils) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2012 and come into force on 1st January 2013.
2.—(1) The Education (Information About Individual Pupils)(England) Regulations 2006(2) are amended as follows.
(2) In regulation 3A (provision of information relating to pupil referral units by local authorities) for “Schedule 1” substitute “Schedules 1 and 2A”.
(3) After regulation 4 insert—
“4A. Within fourteen days of receiving a request from the Secretary of State, the governing body of a school (including a special school) maintained by a local authority, which—
(a)provides full-time education suitable to the requirements of pupils over compulsory school age; and
(b)provides full-time education suitable to the requirements of pupils of compulsory school age,
shall provide to the Secretary of State such of the information referred to in Schedule 2A to these Regulations as is so requested.”.
(4) In regulation 5 (provision of information by non-maintained special schools, city technology colleges, city colleges for the technology of the arts and Academies to the Secretary of State) for “Schedules 1 and 2” substitute “Schedules 1, 2 and 2A”.
(5) After Schedule 2 (provision of information about the learning aims of individual pupils) insert—
Regulations 3A, 4A and 5
1. In respect of each pupil who is or was—
(a)on the school’s register during such period as is specified in the request for information in the twelve months preceding that request; and
(b)aged 16 or over and under 20 as at the 31st August prior to the request from the Secretary of State,
whether the pupil has been awarded a bursary.”
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State
Department for Education
19th July 2012
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
These Regulations make amendments to the Education (Information About Individual Pupils) (England) Regulations 2006 (the “2006 Regulations”) and come into force on 1st January 2013. The amendments apply to maintained schools with sixth forms (including special schools), city technology colleges, city colleges for the technology of the arts and Academies, pupil referral units and non-maintained special schools.
Amendments have been made to the 2006 Regulations to require these schools to provide the Secretary of State information upon request indicating which pupils aged 16 or over have been awarded a bursary.
A full regulatory impact assessment of the effect that this instrument will have on the costs of business and the voluntary sector is annexed to the Explanatory Memorandum which is available alongside this instrument at www.legislation.gov.uk.
1996 c. 56. Section 537A was inserted by section 20 of the Education Act 1997 (1997 c. 44) and substituted by the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 (1998 c. 31), section 140(1) and Schedule 30, paragraphs 57 and 153. See section 579 of the Education Act 1996 for the definition of “prescribed” and “regulations”